Tunes That Be Blowing My Mind

In 24 hours I've been inundated with some amazing tunes. First it was the previously blogged about Dibiase mix, find it here. Today I was cleaning my car out with the iTunes on shuffle and after hearing "South Bronx" a song came on called "Weed Smoker Music" and captured the mood well.


The dude responsible for the track was named Starlito, upon further research I found out he used to go by All Star and was at one point signed to Cash Money. No more from the looks of things. If his Renaissance Gangster tape with DJ Burn One is any indication of what his extensive back catolog might offer I'm very excited.

Hailing from Nashville and demonstrating excellent story telling capabilities along with an honest side, we see him expounding on harsh truthes many fail to properly grasp. With guys like Freddie Gibbs and Pill making a name for the righteous gangster and Wiz Khalifa and Currensy getting highed up on the daily and writing raps about their adventures, Starlito might just be able to walk the line of philosphical gangster - if that's what he wants.

I have started collecting some of his previous works including a shabby mixtape that claims to be an "official" collaboration between Young Buck and 'Lito but instead proves to be a weak attempt from a DJ to cash in on some big names. While not providing the best introduction to his discography I'm willing to look past it. The next tape better be on point though.

Download Renaissance Gangster

I was also lucky enough to hear some things from a certain LA beat muscian whose album I'm most certainly going to be buying on vinyl and you should to. If you know who I'm talking about, good for you. If you don't, time will reveal all details.

For now I will say that this album lives up exponentially to the hype. I was a regular Worldwide listener when 1983 was just hitting the scene and it's been a blessing to watch his career flourish and sprawl. The direction he shows with this peice of work is unparralled in depth or vision. I don't know what to expect next. The sounds of the past are gone. You will know who you are hearing but only because of the experiment before your ears.

I'm excited to get the liner notes and learn more about who else was involved in the creation of these tunes. The music often sounds like there was live instrumentation used. Are the strings courtesy of who we all assume they would be from? Is there a live drummer in the house? Or is he just sampling jazz records better than Primo himself. And whats up with this House tune in here? Funky!

Basically I dig it. More to be said/revealed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curren$y & Wiz Khalifa "How Fly" Review

An Interview With... Carlos Niño

Supersonic Rainbow Fiend